Wednesday, April 20, 2011

New Meaning To Easter Eggs


My daughter Chloe always asks the deepest theological questions when I go to tuck her in bed. Maybe I need to start accounting for that and send her to bed 30 minutes earlier... So tonights question is one that is hard for people of any age to grasp "How did God start? Cause he didn't just go 'bloop' and appear-I mean when did he get made?" Did I mention she is 8? I was speechless for a moment. I told her that he has been around forever. Then I admitted that this is an area I struggle understanding and that it is really hard for any adult or child to truly grasp no beginning or end thing. Eternity is hard to describe if you think about it. Then I saw half of an Easter Egg on her floor. (thank you Lord I know it was left there for a reason!). I held it sideways then asked her what shape it is.
"A circle," there was a look of 'duh' with the answer.
"So where does the circle start?"
"........!!!!!"
As I am explaining this it is being explained to me as well, I was taught in school that a line <-> is never ending...but what if there is a wall 5 miles -> that way? And there is infinity but that doesn't come up much in my daily life.
I am glad it clicked with her and that she then asked with a big grin "so that means Heaven will never end?" I love seeing what we have been teaching sink in!
So why do we not have a symbol for God? The cross represents Jesus and how he died for us-I would rather have a loving symbol than a torture device though. I purpose a circle! Never beginning, never ending. It seems like a great reason to be using (plastic) Easter eggs this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment