Thursday, July 8, 2010

Spinach Enchiladas

I really enjoyed these, Im not too fond of restaurant style spinach enchiladas, they tend to be greasy and (dare I say) too spinach-y. I found a super simplistic recipe online and went from there adding a few more ingredients. Oh and I cut corners, I dont roll enchiladas, I layer like a lasagna. I use premade tomatillio sauce when cooking with it even though I dont like the pre-made on chips it turns out great when baked.

Green-alicious Enchiladas
Serves; 5-6 cost; $8 time; 30 min or less

1 bunch, or frozen package Spinach
1 cup frozen hash-browns, or diced potatoes
2 Tbl oil
1/2 cup onion-diced
1/4 cup cilantro-diced
3 garlic cloves-diced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
16 oz (2 cups)green salsa/tomatillio sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
12-16 corn tortillas
1-2 cups cheese I used cheddar and jack

Cook hashbrowns in oil with onion and garlic, when browned add cilantro and spinach, cook til wilty and steaming. Add cumin, garlic salt, sour cream, and 1 1/4 cups salsa. Stir well and heat til bubbling. Begin preheating oven to 350.
Spray a 9x9" baking dish. Pour 1/4 cup of remaining salsa on bottom of baking dish and spread across bottom. Tear tortillas into pieces and make a layer on bottom of dish-using 3-4 tortillas per layer, pour 1/3 of spinach mixture over tortillas then 1/2 cup cheese, repeat layers 3 times. Make 1 more layer or tortillas on top pour remaining salsa on top, then remaining cheese. Bake at 350 15-20 minutes.

The original recipe I saw only had spinach, sour cream, salsa, and tortillas, if you are working on a budget or trying to cut the calories-go for it, but all together this is already a fairly low cal dish.
Enjoy, I did! My kids even went back for seconds knowing it was spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment