Monday, August 30, 2010

Dumplin's namesake!

I always assumed everyones favorite dish would be the harder ones to make. Bobby's favorite dinner is Chicken and Dumplins, and I assumed it was just him. Until my family came to visit from Tennessee, my brothers one request was Chicken and Dumplins! Seriously? I make a mean European Mocha Fudge Torte, and a Garlic, herb, and cheese stuffed chicken (Chicken Bundles of Love-as they are known in our family) that is to die for (it is how I got my husband after all)...but Chicken and Dumplins was the only request! I was glad though seeing as I was feeding 8 instead of the usual 4. When my mom left she even asked for the recipe! Most of my recipes come from my moms book, so I was pleasantly surprised. This recipe is so good we nick named Addalene Dumplin'! One of the best parts is the way the soup turns into more of a gravy, yum!

Chicken and Dumplin's

1/2 stalk Celery

1 med/small Onion

4-6 Carrots

Garlic (half bulb)

Chives (optional)

Chop/dice all of the above

Chicken

1 ½ Tbl Olive oil or butter

Chicken bullion

Garlic salt to taste

Italian seasoning-A LOT (keep in mind it’s a soup so it takes more seasoning)

Drop biscuit dough (from scratch is best) or a can of biscuit dough (Drop biscuit recipe follows)

Put chicken in a minimal amount of water-so it covers the chicken by about ¼ to ½ inch add olive oil or butter and bullion then boil til chicken is done (the oil and less water keep the chicken from getting chewy or dry). Keep the stock (water) but remove the chicken, add all the veggies and if necessary add more water so all the veggies move can freely. Add Italian Seasoning and begin boiling while chopping or shredding chicken, add chicken back to soup and continue boiling until the carrots are tender. Taste and add garlic salt as needed (I use Low sodium bullion but I don’t put much garlic salt still-also if using canned dough use less salt because the dough is salty) After seasoning bring to a full rolling boil then drop dough in by spoonfuls slowly (if you go to fast it will cool off the water so it is no longer boiling), after 2 minutes turn over the dumplin’s and let cook another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and enjoy (if you continue to let it boil the dumplins will fall apart)

Drop Buiscuits are yummy with butter and honey, like your great great grandmother made, or use the dough for Dumplins!

Drop Biscuits
1 3/4 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening or canola oil
1 cup milk

mix all ingredients.
For biscuits drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes. Makes about 8 large biscuits. They are done when the peaks are a deep golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cherish, just found your blog, and I love the post, must say chicken-n-dumplins, is my all time favorite, and your version sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! i have been needing new recipies! chicken and dumplins will be attempted by me soon!

    ReplyDelete