Sunday, November 14, 2010

"So You Aren't Having Thanksgiving?"

Let me first say I am talking to myself here too.
Since we have gone vegan I have now been asked numerous times "so no Thanksgiving?" First off let me address this idea of Thanksgiving. It is a time to celebrate what we are thankful for right? And tell God, "Thanks"? Shouldn't we do that every day? I try my best (and so not do a great job at it) to be thankful each day for the blessings I have been given. How often do you leave the grocery store saying "thank you Lord for blessing our family with food today"?I definitely remember to at the beginning of the month, when we re stock our kitchen from the end of the month low.
If you take thankfulness out of the picture (since it should be a daily thing) that leaves a time to gather with family and eat. Well, holiday travel is quite costly, not to mention, the days prior to holidays and following are mandatory for Bobby to work. That knocks extended family off the board as most of them live pretty far away (think 12-17 hours).
So food-yes we still eat pretty great food too! Here is what we are planning for Thanksgiving, I am sure I will narrow down the list later as it is alot of food. All of the thing I a cooking are vegan too.
Appetizer:
Spinach Dip in a homemade bread bowl
Main Course:
Stuffed Buttercup Squash (it looks like a green pumpkin)
Sides:
Sweet Potato Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Maple Glazed Acorn Squash
Cranberry Sauce (Homemade)
Dessert:
Pumpkin Cheesecake
and I am working up a recipe for Chocolate Cream Pie

See!? We still get to join in the gluttony of the day, while putting emphasis on being Thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment